What are the benefits of the CBC curriculum?
By Michael M’mata
Competency-based curriculum is an approach to education that focuses on ensuring that students have the skills, knowledge, and abilities needed to succeed in their future endeavours.
It is considered to be important for several reasons:
1. It aligns learning with real-world, practical outcomes and emphasizes the development of relevant skills and knowledge.
2. It allows students to progress at their own pace and to demonstrate their mastery of the material in a variety of ways.
3. It emphasizes the use of formative and summative assessments to evaluate student progress and guide instruction.
4. It places an emphasis on student autonomy and self-directed learning, helping students to take ownership of their own education.
5. It helps to create a more flexible and personalized learning environment that can accommodate the diverse needs and interests of students.
6. It provides a clear and measurable way to determine students’ readiness for further education or a career, which could be beneficial for students, parents, educators and employers.
Overall, a competency-based curriculum is considered to be an effective approach that can help to promote student engagement, academic success and career readiness.