DCI responds to reports 7 officers had been forced to resign

DCI responds to reports 7 officers had been forced to resign

By Joshua Cheloti

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations has dismissed reports that seven of its officers were recently forced to resign from their positions.

Claims of the resignation of the officers emerged just hours after President William Ruto and his deputy Rigathi Gachagua took an oath of office.

It has been claimed that the seven DCI officers were those involved in the controversial arrest of the Deputy President.

Gachagua was arrested in July 2021 by police officers who raided his home in Nyeri at around 5 am. His arrest was concerning a fraud case that he was facing.

But while reports claim the DCI officers behind the controversial arrest had been forced to resign, the directorate says otherwise.

In posts on their social media pages, the investigative wing of the National Police Service (NPS) said the said resignations were normal as the officers sought to pursue other interests.

“The DCI attention has been drawn to allegations doing rounds in social media insinuating forced resignation of 7 DCI officers,” said the agency.

“The Directorate of Criminal Investigations clarifies as follows: That like in any other progressive institution, the resignation of staff to pursue other interests in life is well provided for in the National Police Service, under the NPS Service Standing Orders (SSO),” it added.

According to an explanation issued by the DCI, the officers reported to have resigned did so under the 24-hour rule on diverse dates last month and were not forced to leave the service as alleged.

They all left to pursue their careers in the private sector, noted the DCI.

“The detectives who were based at different specialized units within the Directorate left to pursue their careers in the private sector as financial investigators, fraud experts, IT specialists among others,” DCI said.

Speaking during a Deputy Presidential Debate streamed across all major TV and Radio stations across the country, Gachagua revealed that during the controversial arrest, the police officers humiliated him in front of his wife and children.

“Even after sending 200 police to arrest me in Nyeri and drag me in front of wife and workers took me to Nairobi, lock me for four days, one and a half years later, not a shred of evidence that is why the case has not taken off,” he said.


No Comment.