Fifa ban on Kenyan football to be lifted in days – Nick Mwendwa

Fifa ban on Kenyan football to be lifted in days – Nick Mwendwa

By Joshua Cheloti

Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Nick Mwendwa on Tuesday, September 20, 2022, officially resumed his role after several months of absences.

Mwendwa took a break from Kenyan football in November 2021, days after the government announced FKF disbandment which led to the world governing body – FIFA imposing an indefinite ban on local football.

He had since then faced multiple arrests with no prosecution but following the inauguration of the new government, he announced his return.

In a media briefing to mark his return to FKF offices, Mwendwa said with him now in charge of Kenyan football, he expects FIFA to lift the ban in a matter of days.

“Now that the recognized officials are back in the office, we expect the ban to be lifted in days. Once that is done, by October, Harambee Stars and Harambee Starlets will be back in the game,” he said.

“Our focus now is to make sure the ban is lifted then other things will follow,” added the FKF president.

Since Sports Cabinet Secretary Amb. Amina Mohammed disbanded FKF, a transition committee that has been handling Kenyan football matters. But according to Mwendwa, the committee is not recognized and has no mandate in Kenyan football.

And with his return, the FKF boss has also announced that all Kenyan football will officially return within the next month.

He notes that any other directive earlier announced by the transition committee is null and void.

“All FKF leagues will resume one month from today. And people should know there is only one FKF,” Mwendwa said.
He has now asked youths to start training in preparation for the return of the league from the national to the grassroots level.

“We will go back to training our referees so that before the leagues start we will have them ready to officiate,” noted the FKF President.

0 Comments

No Comment.