• May 27, 2024
  • Last Update May 26, 2024 7:22 PM
  • Nairobi

Flood victims in West Pokot start receiving emergency relief food rations

Flood victims in West Pokot start receiving emergency relief food rations

Kapenguria,

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

KNA by Richard Muhambe/Erickson Kiprotich

The national government has started distribution of emergency relief food to families affected by flash floods in West Pokot County.

Speaking during the launch of the exercise in Kong’elai Division where a number of people were affected, West Pokot County Commissioner (CC) Abdullahi Khalif said the government was targeting around 600 households across the county who were either displaced or lost property to the flooding in various parts.

Khalif stated that the move was a short term intervention to cushion those affected and were in dire need of relief food rations as they recovered from the losses experienced during the floods.

“The food items being supplied include rice, beans and fortified porridge flour. The government allocated 260 bags of rice, 300 bags of beans and 50 bags of fortified porridge flour. We must thank the government for this urgent initiative to assist the victims some of whom lost their animals and their food crops washed away,” said the CC adding that they were partnering with the county government through the Department of Disaster Management.

He said the region experienced displacements in areas such as Lelan, Kambi Karaya, Muino, Batei, Konyao and Kasei due to flash floods.

Khalif said the government was concerned about people’s welfare and would continue supporting those affected by floods urging residents to keep safe in places that might still be susceptible to flooding.

He cautioned residents against crossing flooded rivers advising them to wait until they subside for their safety.

The CC noted that as schools started opening, there were a few selected schools that had been affected by the floods and it was hoped that the rains would reduce as it has been for the past few days.

He lauded the county government for its early interventions through distribution of non-food items such as blankets and mattresses to those severally affected by the floods.

“We shall continue partnering with the county government in ensuring our people recover from the effects of the floods experienced. We thank our various partners such the security organs that have been on watch round the clock sensitizing wananchi to ensure safety,” said Khalif.

Accompanying the multi-urgency team during the distribution, Chief Officer in Charge of Disaster Management David Chepelion termed the national government’s intervention as a gesture of its own kind.

“This gesture is timely to at least assist our people in distress due to the effects of the floods. The county government also responded in time and it has supplied items such as mosquito nets and sanitary pads among other non-food items,” revealed Chepelion adding that they have other programmes in place to support those affected.

Jackson Lechakamoi from Kong’elai whose crops were washed away appreciated the government’s move to provide relief food appealing to the government to look for ways of supporting students whose parents lost their property to the floods during the school opening.

He said since his life he had never witnessed floods of such a magnitude urging fellow residents to take extra caution.

Courtesy; KNA

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *